This past weekend a guy name Travis spoke at our weekend high school ministry service. He’s on staff with me at Saddleback Church. He spoke on the topic of “When I don’t know and when I do know who I am”. I thought he brought up some very interesting points and so I thought I would share them with you all. Here are three points that I think we all need to be reminded of often. I’ve added some questions for you to ask yourself as you remember who you are in Christ. I would advise you to do a study on each question it would be well worth it.
1. When I don’t know who I am in Christ, I try to be someone I’m not. – You begin to identify yourself by your life experiences (parents divorce, sexual abuse, being bullied, bad boyfriend/girlfriend relationship, etc…), and by the words of other people (verbal abuse from your parents or people you trust). I believe before Christ we all lived in this world and some of us even after we accept Christ. Here you have to ask yourself:
- What’s motivating me to be who I am are trying to be?
- Who am I trying to be?
- Am I living for the approval of others?
2. When I know who I am in Christ, I understand the importance of my life. – You walk in the knowledge that you were not created to live for self. You were created for a purpose that deals with the eternal and not the temporal. When you realize who you are in Christ, you realize that you are a blessing to the people that are in your life. You realize that God created you to be loved by him, and in return love others the same way. ask yourself:
- Who do I belong to?
- Why was I created?
- What does my life mean to the world?
3. When I know who I am, I can fulfill my purpose in life. – When you know who you are in Christ, you understand the power that comes with being a child of God. You understand that you are empowered through Christ to do amazing things, so that people may know Christ and his love. Through Christ’s life, death and resurrection we received the power to live a life pleasing to God and a life full of value and purpose.
My prayer for you is that you would know and understand who you are in Christ. I encourage you to ask yourself do you know who God created you to be? Then spend time reading your bible. Don’t believe the lies of Satan who says you have to be enslaved to your past or mistakes. Read expose it talks more about the lie. Ask yourself one question:
- What does God want me to do with my life?
hope it helps